Each Month we have the opportunity to make our lives better not only once but twice ( and sometimes more depending on the Lunar calendar: either by manifesting our highest desires ( New moon ) or in eliminating that which does not serve us any longer ( Full Moon )
These lunar energies last about 7 days: 3 days before where the energies are building, the actual day and then the 3 days that follow. I have not found in my experience that any days that fall within these energies are more powerful or not.
The light of the full moon illuminates those things that are interfering with our spiritual advancements. Once we have become enlightened to ways that are blocking us, the easier it is to let go. The full moon ritual is for releasing or purging the things in our lives that no longer serve us such as addictions to food, drugs, or sex, relinquishing suffering involved in hurtful relationships, discharging physical and emotional pains, etc.
At the full Moon, the energy builds and builds….there’s an explosive outgoing aspect to it. All of nature grows and is more vital at the full Moon. This surge allows you to take action on behalf of those new Moon intentions you set two week prior. A full Moon ritual might involve taking one solid step, with a symbolic action. And it can be a powerful time to release, cast out, unburden yourself, purge, etc. You celebrate youremergence by stepping out of an old skin, identity, behavior, attitude, relationship. The ritual helps you by marking this inner transformation in a formal way.
A full Moon ritual might involve purification by one of the elements ( Fire, Air, Water or Earth). Most often, it’s fire, and done by casting something you don’t want into the flames.
1) Write what you’re releasing down on a piece of paper.
2) Resolve to let go as you throw it into the fire.
3) This can be done as a group, with everyone sitting ’round the fire…or in your own private ceremony. Each person can seal their action of letting go by speaking it aloud, if there’s trust in the circle.
Full Moon Release Ritual
Items you’ll need: Floating candles, a large bowl, water, matches, a pen. Create sacred space with candles, sage smudging, and setting up altars with powerful totems. For some rituals, I’ll use an owl’s wing that a friend gave me, to represent wisdom.
- 1. Create sacred space with candles, sage smudging, and setting up altars with powerful totems. For some rituals, I’ll use an owl’s wing that a friend gave me, to represent wisdom.
- 2. If possible, stand or sit under the Moon. Allow yourself to feel a direct relationship to it, as a mover of the living waters of the Earth and within our own bodies.
- 3. Do a grounding exercise, to bring you out of the chatter of small talk and into ritual space. Feel the earth under your feet and shake out the tension in the body.
- 4. Place the large water-filled bowl in front of you, or in the middle of your gathering on a table.
- 5. Each person writes what they’re releasing on the floating candle. It’s not important that it shows up, just that the intention is there.
- 6. As you place the candle into the bowl, declare what you’re releasing.
- 7. Light the candle.
- 8. Allow yourself to feel the transfer of what you’re releasing to the candle. As a group focus on letting go into the water, holding hands if that feels right.
- 9. Celebrate this release by sharing a feast under the full Moon!
Allow the candle to keep burning in the bowl as a symbol of the letting go process. The flame is a purifier, and symbolizes the sparks of inspiration as well. If you blow out your floating candle, and your bowl is in your home, relighting it will remind you of your commitment. Place inspiring pictures and totems around it that remind you of who you’re becoming. Above all, give yourself kudos for honoring your own growth.
Full Moon Meditation
Full moon evenings are a time for rejuvenation, a time to connect with your vision and refine your intention. At the time of the full moon there is a greater opportunity to overcome obstacles in one’s nature.
Take a few deep breaths with your intention to help clear your mind and open your heart. As you breathe, tap into your spirit. Remember a day when you felt very close to your faith, remember the setting, perhaps outdoors in nature or at a place of worship. Observe how your body feels when the memory is retold to yourself.
Repeated 3 times:
I am a vessel of moonlight …
I am one with the moonlight …
I am the moonlight …
Now allow the silvery colors of your moon aura to flow upwards towards the moon and again downwards towards the earth. Follow your breath and let your attention be a continuous stream of consciousness as above, so below. That which is below corresponds to that which is above, and that which is above corresponds to that which is below.